Transform Program Management into an Asset for Technology Transformations
Financial Services Software Development Joint Venture
Reference Point supported the Client’s Enterprise Program Management Office (EPMO) by overhauling program-wide executive, regulatory and Board reporting.
- The Client’s EPMO had to provide frequent reporting to a variety of stakeholders, including executives, Board members, and regulators, each of whom required a different focus and level of detail. Existing status reports were granular, detailed and required time-intensive preparation while failing to meet the needs of the varied audiences.
- Projects were subject to frequent delays, and workstream interdependencies were not well-documented or understood.
- The client wanted a single, informative, executive-level status reporting template to meet the needs of all stakeholders. Additionally, the client sought guidance and best practices to institute stronger program governance across the enterprise.
- Reference Point paired a seasoned change management executive with an experienced project manager to assess the current state of the EPMO, offer opportunities for improvement and share large-scale program management best practices.
- The team evaluated existing reports and the needs of each stakeholder group, and then created an improved status reporting template and assisted the client with its implementation by developing training materials and socializing with 20+ workstream Project Managers.
- The revised reporting templates reduced the amount of time required to prepare status reports each week and presented key information in a concise executive summary, enabling timely dissemination of reports and clear communication to all audiences.
- Weekly reporting was transformed from a “check-the-box” activity to a value-add method of communicating key program updates to appropriate audiences leading to improved decision-making and more efficient resource management.
- To ensure the successful implementation of the new reporting package, Reference Point provided a dedicated resource to support the EPMO’s reporting function on an ongoing basis.