Assess Enterprise Program Management Organizational Effectiveness
Fortune 50 Financial Services Institution
The Client’s Enterprise Program Management Office (EPMO) needed a partner to assess its current state operating model and provide recommendations to improve the EPMO’s effectiveness and value to the organization.
- Due to ineffective governance and disparate roles and responsibilities, the Client’s annual project investment spend had grown 300% over 5 years.
- The EPMO’s role had diminished over time as many lines of business developed key capabilities normally provided by an EPMO within their own teams, resulting in inconsistent standards and methodologies and a lack of governance for project delivery across the organization.
- The Client desired external subject matter expertise to provide recommendations for improvement based on program and project management best practices.
- Reference Point deployed a team of senior industry experts to advise the Client on industry best practices, perform a high-level assessment of the current state, and develop a target state operating model.
- The team used Reference Point’s Strategic Capability Assessment to guide the engagement. Key tasks included initiating a listening tour with key stakeholders to determine the current effectiveness of the EPMO, identifying key areas for improvement, and developing a detailed roadmap and project plan to guide the implementation.
- Reference Point’s assessment produced a detailed listing of 50 key findings and 11 high-level recommendations supported by detailed work packages, with the goal of not just developing an effective governance organization for the entire enterprise project portfolio but also transforming the EPMO into a value-added partner for the lines of business.
- The Client received a detailed program project plan for the implementation of the EPMO target operating model that outlined not just key tasks and milestones to implement the target operating model but also standards for deliverables to ensure long-term program success.